Jenis-jenis Adverbial Clause antara lain:
1. Clause of Time
Clause yang menunjukkan waktu. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunction (kata penghubung) seperti after, before, no sooner, while, as, dll.
- Shut the door before you go out.
- You may begin when(ever) you are ready.
- While he was walking home, he saw an accident.
- By the time I arrive, Alex will have left.
Clause yang menunjukkan tempat. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunction seperti where, nowhere, anywhere, wherever, dll.
- They sat down wherever they could find empty seats
- The guard stood where he was positioned.
- Where there is poverty, there we find discontent and unrest.
Clause yang menunjukkan adanya pertentangan antara dua kejadian atau peristiwa yang saling berhubungan. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunction (kata penghubung) seperti although, though, even though, whereas, even if, in spite of, as the time, dll.
- Mary wanted to stop, whereas I wanted to go on.
- Although it is late, we'll stay a little longer.
- He is very friendly, even if he is a clever student.
4. Clause of Manner
Clause yang menunjukkan cars bagaimana suatu pekerjaan dilakukan atau peristiwa terjadi. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunction (kata penghubung) seperti as, how, like, in that, dll.
- He did as I told him.
- You may finish it how you like.
- They may beat us again, like they did in 1978.
Clause yang menunjukkan hubungan maksud/tujuan dan hasil. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan kata penghubung seperti (in order) that, so that, in the hope that, to the end that, lest, in case, dll.
- They went to the movie early (in order) to find the best seats.
- She bought a book so (that) she could learn English
- He is saving his money so that he may take a long vacation.
Clause yang menunjukkan hubungan sebab dan akibat. Ada beberapa pola membentuk Clause jenis ini.
- It was such a hot day that we decided to stay indoors. atau It was so hot a day that we decided to stay indoors.
- It was such an interesting book that he couldn't put it down. Atau It was so interesting a book that he couldn't put it down.
1. Menggunakan Preposition (kata depan) seperti because of, due to, due to the fact that, dll
- Because of the cold weather, we stayed home. (=We stayed home because of the cold weather)
- Due to the cold weather, we stayed home. (=We stayed home due to the cold weather)
- Due to the fact that the weather was cold, we stayed home. (=We stayed home due to the fact that the weather was cold)
- Because he was sleepy, he went to bed.
- Since he's not interested in classical music, he decided not to go to the concert.
- Inasmuch as the two government leaders could not reach an agreement, the possibilities for peace are still remote.
- Alex failed the test because he didn't study.
- Alex didn't study. Therefore, he failed the test.
- Alex didn't study. Consequently, he failed the test.
Beberapa Adverb Clause dapat diubah menjadi Modifying Phrases dengan cara:
1) Menghilangkan subjek dari dependent Clause dan verb (be).
a. ADVERB CLAUSE : While I was walking to class, I ran into an old friend.
b. MODIFYING PHRASE : While walking to class, I ran into an old friend.
2) Jika dalam Adverb Clause tidak ada be, hilangkanlah subjek dan ubahlah verb dalam Adverb Clause itu menjadi bentuk -ing.
a. ADVERB CLAUSE : Before I left for work, I ate breakfast.
b. MODIFYING PHRASE : Before leaving for work, I ate breakfast.
Adverb Clause dapat diubah menjadi Modifying Phrase jika subjek dari adverb Clause dan subjek dari main Clause sama.
1. DAPAT DIRUBAH
- While I was sitting in class, I fell asleep -> While sitting in class, I fell asleep.
- While Ann was sitting in class, she fell asleep -> While sitting in class, Ann fell asleep.
- Since Mary came to this country, she has made many friends -> Since coming to this country, Mary has made many friends.
- While the teacher was lecturing to the class, I fell asleep.
- While we were walking home, a frog hopped across the road in front of us.
7. Clause of Condition
Clause yang menunjukkan adanya persyaratan antara dua kejadian (peristiwa) yang berhubungan. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunctions seperti if, even if, unless, in the even that, or in even that, in case, provided (that), providing (that), on condition that, if only, suppose (that), supposing (that), dll.
- If I see him, I will invite him to the party tomorrow.
- She would forgive her husband everything, if only he would come back to her.
- Suppose (that) your house burns down, do you have enough insurance to cover such a loss.